Soon to be a Modern Classic, The Polar Express is based on the best selling children's book written by Chris Van Allsburg in 1985 and will be released Thanksgiving 2004 as a movie starring Academy Award winner Tom Hanks.
It is the story of a young boy's struggle to solve the mystery of Santa Claus and the story plays out on the Polar Express
- Led by a massive Berkshire 2-8-4 Locomotive, the train transports wide-eyed kids on a hair-raising adventure to the North Pole
- The Locomotive is Lionel's upscale all metal Berkshire with 8 drive wheels with everything you would expect in a Lionel Locomotive, including remote controlled forward, neutral, and reverse; headlight, smoke, and a whistle tender with operating coupler
- Passenger Car features include:
- Interior lighting
- Decorated drumhead on observation car
- All new rounded observation deck
- Silhouettes in windows
- 6 wheel metal trucks with operating couplers on all cars
- The main characters from the movie are included as articulated figures with turning heads, movable arms, bendable waists, and jointed knees. They can be posed and placed to replicate scenes from the movie
Set includes 40 x 60 fastrack oval, CW-80 transformer with lots of extra power for accessories etc., and an instructional 'how to' video.
The train is 63 inches long.